Schemes and Memes blog is running a short series focusing on science on the screen. By way of contribution, here’s a fun science fiction movie quiz for you to get your robotically enhanced teeth into. The questions come courtesy of the Bigger Boat Film Quiz, who put on regular movie-based pub quizzes in Brixton and Highgate. Their next event is also a sci-fi special, and takes place on 29 March in Brixton’s Ritzy.
On with the questions. Let us know in the comments how many you got right:
1. By what film title is the sci-fi character Ben Richards better known?
2. Which post-apocalyptic sequel ends with the line: “He lives now, only in my memory…” (a line stolen by James Cameron for Titanic!)
3. Which alien invasion movie begins with the line: “If this isn’t an insanely beautiful woman, I’m hanging up…”
4. What is the name of Cillian Murphy’s ship in Sunshine?
5. How much electricity is needed to power the DeLorean time machine in Back to the Future?
6. In Forrest Gump, Gary Sinise says that the day Forrest becomes a shrimp boat captain, he’ll be an astronaut. In which film did they both play astronauts?
7. Which sci-fi cult classic received the following Christian movie review: There is little content to concern parents. If you have a problem with evolution being portrayed as the origin of man, simply fast-forward the first 25 minutes and pick up from there. You’ll hardly miss a thing.
8. Which Star Wars character’s name is derived from the Sanskrit word for "warrior?
9. Which author’s works have been adapted into films starring: Claude Rains, Tom Cruise, Guy Pearce and Val Kilmer?
10. By what name is the character Strategic Artificially Intelligent Nuclear Transport (SAINT) Prototype No. 5 better known?
11. What was the first movie to be tied in with a McDonalds Happy Meal promotion?
12. What is the name of the planet ruled by Ming the Merciless that Flash Gordon lands on?
13. What is the lifespan of a Tyrell replicant in Blade Runner?
14. Which actors play the unfortunate scientist in the 80s remake of The Fly, and in the original?
15. In a poll of hundreds of scientists about science fiction films, which 2003 movie was voted the worst for crap science?
16. What is the name of the computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
17. War of the Worlds and I Am Legend are the top two most successful science fiction remakes so far. What’s the third?
18. By what film title is the character Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat better known?