With only a few days left to enter our careers columnist competition, and for the chance to be published in Nature, you should be almost ready to submit your entry, if you haven’t already. Here’s our handy check-list of last-minute advice:
- Want your piece to be really engaging? Try using stories to get your message across.
- Don’t be afraid to inject some personality into it. But avoid a long-winded personal rant at all costs!
- Try and get your fascination and enthusiasm of the subject across. More tips on how to do that here.
- Consider why this is relevant now – is there a topical hook?
- Not sure writing is for you? Think again!
- Ask others for advice. Editing your own work is hard – even professional editors get other editors to look at their work – so do the same; give your entry to friends and colleagues who you can trust for honest advice. If there are parts they all find boring, cut them out (those sections, not your friends!).
- Check out the hall of fame – have a look at some of the past winning entries here for inspiration.
Good luck! Sign up to our fortnightly newsletter to be informed of the winners when they are announced.