Are you a budding science communicator interested in science related careers?
Look no further because we need you! The Boston Naturejobs Career Expo, May 20th, is looking for 5 budding science communicators to be journalists for our expo.
Each journalist will cover two of the conference sessions or workshops. This competition is open to any undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate students that want to have a go at being a science communicator for the day.
To enter the competition and be with a chance of being a journalist for Naturejobs for the day, we ask you to send us the following:
1) A cover letter explaining why you want to be considered and what would make you a good journalist.
2) Your CV
3) A 600 word answer to one of the following questions:
- What advice would you give to a friend who is having trouble dealing with a devil-in-disguise boss?
- You are invited to travel back in time and ask anyone a question. Who would it be and why?
- You’re working with the world’s worst slacker, and on top of that, they’ve stolen your glory. How would you deal with them?
- A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?
- You are given a million dollars to launch your favourite scientific business idea. What is it, and what would you do with the money?
You can send your answers to the Naturejobs editor Julie [dot] gould [at] nature [dot] com.
On top of being a Naturejobs journalist for the day:
1) The 5 winning, and 5 runner-up entries will be posted on the Naturejobs blog before the event.
2) The 5 winning articles will be published on the Naturejobs blog after the event.
3) Winners will also have the chance of working with, and meet, some Nature Publishing Group editors.
4) The 5 winners will get a one year free subscription to Nature magazine.
5) The 5 winners will also get a £50/$100 Amazon voucher.
The things you need to know BEFORE entering the competition:
1) We cannot offer travel grants or cover travel expenses to the event of any kind. Instead we offer some great prizes, along with having your journalistic pieces published on the Naturejobs blog.
2) The competition entries and content created will be used on the Naturejobs blog and in marketing materials for the Naturejobs Career Expo.
3) The deadline for sending in your competition entries is April 4th 2014 at 9pm GMT/5PM EST.