August has been a busy month for the Naturejobs team, especially as the Naturejobs Career Expo is coming up on September 19th in London (we hope to see many of you there). But we’ve still had plenty of time to bring you some great posts on the Naturejobs blog, and we wanted to share your 10 favourite posts from August.
1. Thesis writing tip for the I-left-it-to-the-last-minute PhD student.You’ve read all the other writing tips and they all say the same thing: start earlier! Unfortunately, that’s no help to you. So here are some top tips for those who have left it a little later than planned. Good luck!
3. A PhD is more than just research training. Are there too many PhDs? Only if you consider a one-track career path in academia. But this post shows that academia and a PhD can provide you with a vast set of skills that set you on the right footing for many different career paths.
4. Top tips on writing your PhD thesis is a crowd-sourced set of tips for writing your PhD thesis.
5. When a PhD isn’t enough, there are other things you can do to help you secure a job. This post includes some great tips for anyone in this position.
6. A STEM major offers career opportunities in all sectors, which is a very encouraging thought. This USA Census Bureau data set and interactive infographic show some interesting trends.
7. How to bounce back from a grant rejection: go through the Six Stages of Scientific Grief. They’ll be familiar to you. If not, be prepared by knowing what’s coming. But have a cuppa at the ready for when you get to the last stage.
8. Careers in Nature – 1 August 2014 is a collection of career-related content from across the Nature.com domain.
9. Online education: Top tips for picking the right course is the first part of a series about online education. Sometimes it’s not feasible for you to study for a degree on campus. So why not try an online course?
10. Careers in Nature – 15 August 2014 is a collection of career-related content from across the Nature.com domain.