The Naturejobs Career Expo Journalism Competition is back!
We’re thrilled to announce this year’s Naturejobs journalism competition, taking place in both San Francisco and Boston. This is a great opportunity for new and upcoming science journalists to work with a Nature editor, attend the Naturejobs Career Expo, and have their voice published on the Naturejobs blog. Winners will also be provided with a $100 Amazon voucher and a year’s personal subscription to Nature.
We’re looking for 10 new science writers, based in – or able to travel to – San Francisco and Boston, to cover our ever-popular career expos. The conferences will explore careers in academia and industry, the career paths of prominent scientists, and how to develop the all-important practical and soft skills you need to progress in your career.
Winners of the journalism competition will have the opportunity to visit and report on at least two sessions at the career expo, will be able to work with Springer Nature editors on their pieces, and have their winning entries and reports published on the Naturejobs blog.
All you need to do to be considered for the Naturejobs Career Expo Journalism Competition is to send us:
1) A cover letter explaining why you want to be considered and what would make you a good journalist.
2) Your CV.
3) A 600 word answer to one of the following topics:
- Career paths: What do you need to think about before taking your next step?
- Balance: Can scientists really have work/life balance?
- Interviews: What’s the worst question to be asked, and how do you answer it?
- Events: What are the best networking practises at a conference?
- Attitude: How important is confidence in science?
- Mobility: How far should you travel for your research?
- Transferable skills: What are scientists good at (other than science)?
The prizes are:
1) The five winning and five runner-up entries will be posted on the Naturejobs blog before the event.
2) The reports of the Expo will be published on the Naturejobs blog after the event.
3) Winners will work with, and meet, Springer Nature editors.
4) The five winners will receive a one year personal subscription to Nature .
5) The five winners will also get a $100 Amazon voucher.
The things you need to know BEFORE entering the competition:
1) We cannot offer travel grants or cover travel expenses to the event of any kind. Instead we offer some great prizes, along with the opportunity of having your pieces published on the Naturejobs blog.
2) The competition entries and content created will be used on the Naturejobs blog and in marketing materials for the Naturejobs Career Expo.
3) The deadline for sending in your competition entries is 7th April 2016 at 9pm GMT.
4) You can send your competition entries to the Naturejobs editor at naturejobseditor [at] nature.com.
Good luck, and we’re looking forward to seeing your entries!