The GAVI Alliance just announced at its replenishment meeting in London that it has not only made up the US$3.7 billion shortfall in its planned $ 6.8 billion expansion of vaccination programmes over the period 2011 to 2015, but exceeded it by $600 million, raising a total of $4.3 bn from donors
– including substantial new contributions from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the UK government.
I’ll update this post with more details soon -meanwhile, for some background see my analysis last week of GAVI’s funding situation.
Update: Here’s a breakdown by donor of the new sums given today for the period 2011-2015, followed by a breakdown of their total contributions for the period.
New pledges made to GAVI at today’s meeting for the period 2011-2015 (US$ million)
Total pledges made to GAVI for the period 2011-2015, including previous commitments (US$ million)
Source: GAVI pdf
The GAVI Alliance’s vaccination targets 2011-2015
It’s too soon to say, what GAVI flush with a surplus of US$600 million from today’s ‘replenishment,’ will spend the extra money on, although as Bill Gates told the meeting’s closing press conference, it allows, “upping our sights” on immunisation coverage targets. For memory, here’s what GAVI estimated its US$6.8 billion vaccination plans from 2011 to 2015 would buy:
* 90 million infants in more than 40 countries with new pneumococcal vaccines
* 50 million infants in more than 30 countries with new rotavirus vaccines
* 230 million infants with pentavalent vaccines protecting against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, and haemophilus influenzae type b
* 65 million people with yellow fever vaccines
* Begin rollout of other new vaccines. This includes a vaccine against the human papillomavirus responsible for cervical cancer, a major cause of death of women in poor countries.
This campaign would vaccinate some quarter of a billion children, and avert 3.9 million deaths according to GAVI, which is credited with having saved some 5 million lives in the decade since its creation in 2000.