1. Report this comment

    Andrea Ford said:

    Is it possible, in the UK, to complete a PhD project and thesis, without being a member of an academic institution?

  2. Report this comment

    Marialuisa Aliotta said:

    Hi Andrea, I am afraid it is not. The PhD title is conferred by a university, so you need to be registered on a project within an academic institution.

  3. Report this comment

    Dorothy Bishop said:

    Marialuisa:Many thanks for this. Will point my students to it. For people whose studies involve human participants, this post may also be helpful:
    Andrea: I am pretty sure the answer is no. You have to be registered at an institution that is certified to award degrees. At some institutions, though, there may be possibilities for distance learning or part time study.See:

Comments are closed.