Enter for a chance to work as a Nature journalist for the day!
Here we go again!
Following the success of the Boston and San Francisco Naturejobs career expo journalism competitions this year, we’re launching the competition for our tenth career expo in London, to be held on September 16th.
The London Naturejobs career expo is our flagship event, so we are looking for five budding science writers to help us with our coverage of the conference sessions, workshops and general ambience of the event for those who cannot make it. The conference will explore career paths in industry, academia and science communication, finding funding, and much more.
The five winners will have the opportunity to attend the expo and write up at least two of the sessions or workshops for our readers, sharing the advice and expertise of the speakers with our worldwide audience. Winners will also have the opportunity to work closely with Nature editors, and their articles will be published on the Naturejobs blog.
The competition is open to all unpublished*, currently enrolled undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate science students and post docs with a scientific background. You don’t have to be London-based, but do keep in mind that we cannot cover travel expenses (see below).
All you need to do to enter the competition and stand a chance of being a journalist with Naturejobs for the day is to send us the following:
1) A cover letter explaining why you want to be considered and what makes you a good journalist.
2) Your CV.
3) A 600 word piece on one of the following topics:
- Science communication
- Career paths
For guidance on the style of your pieces, the best thing to do is to read the Naturejobs blog to get a feel of what we’re looking for.
The prizes are:
1) The 5 winning entries will be posted on the Naturejobs blog before the event.
2) The reports of the Expo will be published on the Naturejobs blog after the event.
3) Winners will work with, and meet, Nature editors.
4) The 5 winners will get a one year free subscription to Nature magazine.
5) The 5 winners will also get a £50/$100 Amazon voucher.
The things you need to know BEFORE entering the competition:
1) We cannot offer travel grants or cover travel expenses to the event of any kind. Instead we offer some great prizes, along with the opportunity of having your pieces published on the Naturejobs blog.
2) The competition entries and content created will be used on the Naturejobs blog and in marketing materials for the Naturejobs Career Expo.
3) The deadline for sending in your competition entries is 26th AUGUST 2016 at 9pm GMT/5PM EST.
4) You can send your competition entries to Jack, the Naturejobs editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* A ‘published’ writer is a professional journalist or author already being paid for their work. Bloggers and student journalists are welcome to enter.