Enter for a chance to work as a Nature journalist for the day!
We’re launching our annual journalism competition, to cover our flagship career fair in London on October 4th, 2017.
The London Naturejobs career expo is the world’s largest dedicated career fair, packed with career development sessions on topics like finding the right position for you, networking as a scientist, making a great CV and finding funding for your research.
We are looking for three budding science writers to help us with our coverage of the conference sessions and workshops, so that members of our audience that can’t make it to London can learn something, too.
The three winners will have the opportunity to attend the expo and write about their experiences for our readers, sharing the advice and expertise of the speakers and anything else they learn from the day. Winners will also have the opportunity to work closely with Nature editors, and to learn the trade of a Nature journalist for a day. The winning articles, as well as reports from the expo, will be published on the Naturejobs blog.
The competition is open to all entry-level, currently enrolled undergraduate, graduate or postgraduate science students and post docs with a scientific background. You don’t have to be London-based, but do keep in mind that we cannot cover travel expenses (see below).
All you need to do to enter the competition and stand a chance of being a journalist with Naturejobs for the day is to send us the following:
1) A cover letter explaining why you want to be considered and what makes you a good journalist.
2) Your CV.
3) A 600 word piece, based off of personal experience, on one of the following topics:
- Finding mentorship
- Flexible career paths
- Why scientists should communicate science
- What scientists are good at – other than science
- How hard should a career in science be?
For guidance on the style of your pieces, the best thing to do is to read more of the Naturejobs blog to get a feel of what we’re looking for.
The prizes are:
1) The three winning entries will be posted on the Naturejobs blog before the event.
2) The reports of the Expo will be published on the Naturejobs blog after the event.
3) Winners will work with, and meet, Nature editors.
4) The three winners will get a one year free subscription to Nature magazine.
5) The three winners will also get a £50/$100 Amazon voucher.
The things you need to know BEFORE entering the competition:
1) We cannot offer travel grants or cover travel expenses to the event of any kind. Instead we offer some great prizes, along with the opportunity of having your pieces published on the Naturejobs blog.
2) The competition entries and content created will be used on the Naturejobs blog and in marketing materials for the Naturejobs Career Expo.
3) The deadline for sending in your competition entries is 16th SEPTEMBER 2017 at 10pm GMT.
4) You can send your competition entries to Jack, the Naturejobs editor, at email@example.com.