Please read these rules before entering the Of Schemes and Memes Royal Society book prize draw (the “draw”). By entering and participating in the draw, you agree to be bound by these terms and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements set forth below.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID IN CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, SUDAN, AND SYRIA AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
- The draw is open to legal residents of the United Kingdom and all other countries worldwide except residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria, and at least 18 years of age or over at the time of entry and who have reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside. If you reside in a country that is prohibited by law, regulation, treaty or administrative act from entering into trade relations with the United Kingdom or its citizens, you may not enter the draw. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees of Macmillan Publishers Limited (“Promoter”), agents, consultants and individuals professionally connected with the draw are not eligible to enter. Additionally, please note that the offer to participate in the draw does not extend to persons resident in countries where local, state, provincial or national laws prohibit the promotion of, operation of or participation in sweepstakes, lotteries or similar prize draws.
- By participating in this draw, entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these terms and by the interpretations of these terms by the Promoter and by the decisions of the Promoter; (b) acknowledge compliance with these terms; (c) agree to comply with any and all applicable local laws, rules and regulations; and (d) agree to release and hold harmless Promoter from and against any and all claims, injury or damages arising out of or relating to participation in the draw and/or the use, misuse or redemption of the Prizes (as defined below), and for any claim, including without limitation, claims based on defamation, publicity rights, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, or any other intellectual property related cause of action.
- Only one (1) entry per person is permitted. Responsibility is not accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of any network, computer hardware or software failure of any kind. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt, and no correspondence will be entered into. In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning online entry, the “Authorized Account Holder” of the e-mail account used to participate in the draw at the actual time of entry, will be deemed to be the entrant. The Authorized Account Holder is the natural person to whom the applicable Internet service provider, online service provider or other organization has assigned the email address for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. In the event a winning account selected is a joint account, a total of one (1) prize will be awarded in the name of the first-named account holder. Proof to Promoter’s satisfaction of being the authorized account subscriber may be required by Promoter in order to verify eligibility.
- No entries from agents, third parties, organised groups or entries automatically generated by computer will be accepted. No multiple, incomplete, illegible or corrupted entries will be accepted. Entries not in accordance with the entry instructions will not be accepted.
- Participants must guess the 2013 Royal Society book prize winner correctly in order to participate in the draw and to be in with a chance of winning the prize. Full details on how to enter are available by visiting http://blogs.nature.com/ofschemesandmemes/2013/09/25/win-the-best-of-2012s-popular-science-books
- Closing date for entries will be 5pm GMT on 24th November 2013.
- One winner will be randomly selected on or about the draw date (the “Draw Date”) within 5 days of the closing date. The decision of the judge is final.
- The odds of becoming a draw winner depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Entries will become the property of the Promoter.
- Winners will be notified within a week following the draw via the email provided at time of entry. If a potential winner cannot be reached directly and/or does not meet the eligibility requirements, the potential winner will be disqualified and an alternate potential winner will be selected in a random drawing from among all of the remaining applicable Eligible Submissions. Prizes must be claimed within 30 days of notification.
- The potential winners may be required to prove eligibility, including, without limitation, proof of age, residence and identity, which may include submitting a copy of a driver’s license, passport or similar government issued identification and/or returning an Affidavit to Eligibility within seven (7) days of being notified of being a potential winner. Providing potential winners are in compliance with the official terms, and when required have successfully proven eligibility potential winners will each be determined to be a winner. In the event of non-compliance by a potential winner such potential winner shall be disqualified and all privileges otherwise due as a winner shall be terminated and an alternative potential winner will be chosen in a random drawing from among all of the remaining applicable eligible entries received. Promoter expressly reserves the right to delay the announcement of the winners for any reason Promoter deems necessary. In addition, Promoter reserves the right to select an alternate winner in event that any potential winner fails to comply with these terms.
- All requests for the name of the winner must be made by 25th January 2014. The name of the winner will be supplied on request after 9th December 13 by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prizes will be as stated. The prizes are not transferable and there is no cash alternative. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice. The prize for the correct answer will be the following books:
- Bird Sense by Tim Birkhead, published by Bloomsbury
- The Particle at the End of the Universe by Sean Carroll, published by OneWorld Publications
- Cells to Civilizations by Enrico Coen, published by Princeton University Press
- Pieces of Light by Charles Fernyhough, published by Profile Books
- The Book of Barely Imagined Beings by Caspar Henderson, published by Granta
- Ocean of Life by Callum Roberts, published by Allen Lane (Penguin Books)
14. Promoter will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen prizes. All taxes, costs, liabilities and unspecified expenses associated with the usage of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner.
16. Promoter is not responsible if the draw cannot take place, or if any prize cannot be awarded due to delays, interruptions or failures due to acts of God, war, natural disasters, weather, acts or threats of terrorism, strikes, lockouts, labour disputes, work stoppages, fire, acts of government, or other events outside of the reasonable control of Promoter. If, for any reason the draw is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of Promoter, which, in Promoter’s sole determination, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this draw, Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the draw or any part of the draw. Promoter may prohibit an entrant from participating in the draw or winning a draw prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the draw by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Promoter representatives. Promoter reserves the right to modify and amend these terms from time to time during the draw for clarification purposes. Failure by Promoter to enforce any term of these terms shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
17. By participating in the draw, all entrants agree to indemnify and hold Promoter harmless from any and all liability arising out of or relating in any way to entrant’s participation in the draw and to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against Promoter.
18. Promoter assumes no responsibility for and will disqualify entries that are: stolen, late, lost, illegible, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, damaged, destroyed, delayed, misdirected, not received, postage due mail entries, or that have incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the draw, or by any human, mechanical or electronic error which may occur in the processing of the entries in the draw, or other errors appearing within the terms or in any the draw related advertisements. Promoter assumes no responsibility for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the draw, errors in processing entries, identifying the winners, in the announcement of the draw prizes and winners, and the delivery of the draw prizes, any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, mobile phone, computer systems, online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any web site, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer system/software or mobile phone or other portable electronic device related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the draw. Use of any device to automate or subvert entry is prohibited and any entries received by such means will be void. No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated entries are permitted and any entries received by such means will be void. Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any person it suspects or finds: (i) to have used a software generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated entry; (ii) to have tampered with the entry process or the operation of the draw; (iii) to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; (iv) to display behaviour that will bring such winner or Promoter into disgrace; (v) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with the draw; or (vi) to be acting in violation of these terms. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A WINNER WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A WINNER OF THE DRAW AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
19. AS A CONDITION OF ENTERING THE DRAW, ENTRANT AGREES THAT (I) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE WILL ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES; AND (II) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, BUT IN NO EVENT SHALL SUCH CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS OR AWARDS INCLUDE LEGAL FEES.
20. ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE DRAW MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, PROMOTER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING LAWYERS FEES) FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
21. These terms and conditions shall be governed by English Law and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Promoter and Data Controller: Nature Publishing Group a division of Macmillan Publishers Limited, 4 Crinan Street, London N1 9XW, UK.
The personal information obtained from the contest entry form will not be used or disclosed for any purpose other than general contest administration and notification of winners.