[Update on 10 December 2018: Deadline extended to 20 December 2018]
Nature India’s annual photo competition is back!
This year, we are delighted to announce three cash prizes worth $350, $250, $200 for the top three winners. The top 10 winning entries will be part of a roving exhibition across venues in India.
Submit your entries now for a chance to win these exciting prizes and to be featured on Nature India‘s blog Indigenus.
The theme for this year’s contest is “Vector-borne Diseases”.
About 700,000 people around the world die every year from diseases transmitted by vectors such as mosquitoes, sandflies, blackflies, ticks and tsetse flies. Major vector-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue, schistosomiasis, human African trypanosomiasis, leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis and onchocerciasis account for around 17% of all infectious diseases.
They are most prevalent in tropical and subtropical regions, and among the poorest. Since 2014, major outbreaks of dengue, malaria, chikungunya, yellow fever and Zika have caused large-scale devastation.
We invite entries that focus on the gravity of vector borne diseases. You could choose any aspect of the issue to highlight – disease manifestation; hygiene and sanitation; breeding grounds; the science and pseudoscience; new and emerging solutions; mitigation; preparedness and whatever else can creatively and aesthetically convey the subject in question.
There are three cash awards to be won – the first prize worth $350, the second worth $250 and a third prize of $200. In addition, ten finalists will be featured on Nature India.
Photographs will be judged for novelty, creativity, quality and printability. Winners will be chosen by a panel of Nature Research editors and photographers alongside a leading Indian scientist working in the area of vector-borne diseases. The winner and two runners-up will receive a copy of the Nature India Annual Volume 2017 and a bag of goodies (including Collector’s first issues of Nature and Scientific American and some other keepsakes) from the Nature Research. One of the winning entries also stands a chance of being featured on the cover a forthcoming print publication.
The contest is open to all – any nationality, any occupation, any profession. You may use whatever camera you wish – even your cell phone – as long as the photograph you send us is unedited, original, in digital format and of printable quality. Just make sure you are not violating any copyrights. Also, no obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or other inappropriate content please (refer to the contest terms and conditions below).
Please send your entries in jpeg format to email@example.com with your name and contact details. Please mention “Nature India Photo Contest 2018” in the subject line of your email. The photograph must be accompanied by a brief caption (please see some photo captions here for reference) explaining the subject of the picture along with the date, time and place it was taken.
We will accept a maximum of two entries per person. The last date for submissions is midnight of December 20, 2018 Indian Standard Time. On social media, please use the hashtag #NatureIndphoto to talk about the contest or to check out our latest updates.
The theme for our inaugural photo competition in 2014 was “Science & technology in India”. In 2015, it was “Patterns”, in 2016 we made it simple with “Nature” and last year it focussed on the “Grand Challenges”. We have received some breathtaking entries from across the world all these years. You might want to take a look at the winning entries of the Nature India Photo Contest 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 for some inspiration or the entries that made it to the top to get an idea of what we look for while selecting winners.
[TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By entering into this Nature India Annual photo contest (“Promotion”), you agree that you have read these terms and that you agree to them. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in your disqualification from the Promotion.
- This Promotion is run by Nature Research, a division of Springer Nature Limited a company registered in England with registered number 00785998 and registered office at The Campus, 4 Crinan Street, London N1 9XW (“Promoter”).
- To enter this Promotion you must be: (a) resident in a country where it is lawful for you to enter; and (b) aged 18 years old or over (or the applicable age of majority in your country if higher) at the time of entry. This Promotion is void in Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria and where prohibited or restricted by law.
- This Promotion is not open to directors or employees (or members of their immediate families) of Promoter or any subsidiary of Promoter. Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants.
- The Promotion is open for entries between 00:00 on 14/11/2017 and 00:00 on 20/12/2017 IST.
- No purchase is necessary to enter this prize Promotion and will not increase your chances of winning.
- You can enter this Promotion by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only two entries per eligible person. More than two entries will be deemed to be invalid and may lead to disqualification.
- Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach Promoter by the closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid. No other form of entry is permitted. Please keep a copy of your entry as we will be unable to return entries or provide copies.
- The prize for the Promotion consists of the following: Three cash awards worth $350, $250 and $200 for the top three entries respectively, a copy of the Nature India Special Annual Volume 2017 and a bag of goodies (which includes Collector’s first issues of Nature, November 1869 and Scientific American, August 1845; and some other keepsakes) from Nature Research.
- The prizes shall be awarded as follows: The prize will be decided in the week following the close of the Promotion. The winners will be notified via email. Winners will be selected by a four person panel of Nature staff, at least one of which will be independent from the Promotion, based on photographic merit, creativity, photo quality, and impact. Full names of the judging panel will be available on request. Any decision will be final and binding and no further communication will be entered into in relation to it.
- Ownership of entries: for consideration into this Promotion, you must sign a license to publish form granting the intellectual property rights to Nature Research for your image. This may be used in promotional or marketing material in print and online. You confirm that your entry is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any laws, including privacy laws, whether of the UK or elsewhere, or any rights of any third party, that no other person was involved in the creation of your entry, that you have the right to give Promoter and its respective licensees permission to use it for the purposes specified herein, that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent, guardian or carer if they are under 18 (or the applicable age of majority), it is lawful for you to enter and that you agree not to transfer files which contain viruses or any other harmful programs.
- The winner(s) of the Promotion shall be notified by email no more than two weeks after the Promotion closes.
- The winner(s) will be required to confirm acceptance of the prize within ten working days and may be required to complete and return an eligibility form stating their age and residency details, among other details. Promoter will endeavour to ensure that winner(s) receive their prizes within 30 days of the date they confirm acceptance of the prize. If a winner does not accept the prize within ten days of being notified, they will forfeit their prize and Promoter reserves the right to choose another winner(s). Promoter’s decision is final and Promoter reserves the right not to correspond on any matter.
- The name, region of residence and likeness of the winners may be used by Promoter for reasonable post-event publicity in any form including on Promoter’s website and social media pages at no cost.
- You can find out who has won a prize by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or checking the Nature India blog website Indigenus (http://blogs.nature.com/indigenus).
- Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend these Terms and Conditions or change the Prize (to one of equal or greater value) as required by the circumstances. No cash equivalent to the Prize is available.
- Promoter may at its sole discretion disqualify any entrant found to be tampering or interfering with the entry process or operation of the website, or to be acting in any manner deemed to be disruptive of or prejudicial to the operation or administration of the Promotion.
- Other than for death or personal injury arising from negligence of the Promoter, so far as is permitted by law, the Promoter hereby excludes all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Promotion or any aspect of the Prize. All activities are undertaken at the entrants own risk. Your legal rights as a consumer are not affected.]